Sunday, July 2, 2017

ALABAMA, Bibb County: Hicks (1845)

John Hicks, died March 28, 1845. 

LAST WILL & TESTAMENT OF JOHN HICKS
Know all persons by these presents that I John Hicks of the County of Bib within the State of Alabama do hereby make this, my Indenture for the use and purpose hereinafter, expiry, to wit, that whereas I, the said John Hicks has an enormous family of sons and daughters and being able to provide for the same in a manner suitable to my fortune and circumstances, now this indenture witnesseth, that I the said John Hicks for and in consideration of natural love and affection hath and by these presents do give, grant, bargain and convey to Richard Hicks, and Temple Spivey and to the survivors of them to and for the use trust and purpose following to wit: To Richard Hicks to his own proper use and behalf the quarter section of land on which he now resides the conveyance for the same in fee simple to be executed to him as soon as a grant shall be procured for the same to Charity Spivey, my daughter, and wife of Temple Spivey the quarter section of land on which said Spivey now resides; to William Hicks, my son, the quarter section of land known by the name of the Robertson place and one Negro named Solomon, one feather bed and furniture, one cow and calf and sow and pigs. To my son, Joseph Hicks, one quarter section of land on which he now lives or some other quarter section of land and one Negro named Jins; to my daughter, Jane Lathem, wife of Enoch Lathem, the quarter section of land on which said Lathem now resides or some other quarter section and one Negro named Cize; to John Hicks, my son, a quarter section of land, one Negro named Jordon, horse, bridle, saddle, featherbed and furniture, cow and calf and sow and pigs. To Lucinda Hicks, my daughter, one quarter section of land , one Negro named Luisa, featherbed and furniture, horse, bridle, cow and calf, and sow and pigs. To my son Isaac Hicks, one quarter section of land, one Negro named Martha, featherbed and furniture, horse, bridle, saddle, cow and calf, sow and pigs; to Elizabeth Hicks, my daughter, a quarter section of land, one Negro named Mima, featherbed and furniture, horse, bridle, saddle, cow and calf and sow and pigs. To James Hicks, my son, a quarter section of land, one Negro named Anz, featherbed and furniture, horse, bridle, saddle, cow and calf, sow and pigs; and the quarter section of land that is to be purchased to provide Joseph Hicks, Jane Latham, John Hicks, Lucinda Hicks, Isaac Hicks, Elizabeth Hicks, and James Hicks, is to be equal value to quality to the quarter section of land which is already purchased and promised for Richard Hicks, Charity Spivey, and William Hicks at this writing. After the lands and other articles specified in this deed procured, if there should be any surplus of property, it is to be equally divided amongst all my children. It being understood that I reserve the use and enjoyment of the above named slaves and all the rest of the property to myself during my natural life, unless I should sooner be willing to dispose of the same according as specified in this deed of trust. It being also understood that whatever I receive or may receive, in right of my present wife, Catherine Hicks is to be included in this deed and I do by these presents constitute or ordain Richard Hicks and Temple Spivey, my Trustees to do and act according as is specified in this deed witnessed. Whereof I have set my (?) to affix my seal this 23rd day of February 1825. 


Present of Attest:    John Hicks     (X)      His Mark
Willis Davis 

William Caddell 
Landon I. Carter


Children of ELIZABETH BIRD and JOHN HICKS are:
i.RICHARD 3 HICKS, b. February 24, 1799. 
ii.WILLIAM HICKS , b. May 17, 1800. 
iii.JOSEPH HICKS, b. February 10, 1802. 
iv.3. CHARITY HICKS , b. November 20, 1803; d. May 19, 1872. 
v.JANE HICKS, b. December 25, 1805. 
vi.JOHN HICKS, b. December 06, 1807. 
vii.ALLEY HICKS, b. July 09, 1809; d. November 05, 1812. 
viii.LUCINDA HICKS, b. January 11, 1811. 
ix.HENRY HICKS, b. August 11, 1812; d. August 06, 1813. 
x.ISSAC HICKS, b. August 15, 1815; d. July 20, 1886. 
xi.ELIZABETH HICKS , b. May 03, 1817. 
xii.JAMES HICKS, b. February 05, 1819; d. October 14, 1866.

No comments:

Post a Comment