Friday, January 22, 2016

GEORGIA, Oglethorpe County: Pope (1799)

Christine Johnson-Williams sent me several electronic mail messages last year, which included images of wills related to her ancestors. Christine doesn't blog but wanted to contribute to the Slave Name Roll project. She very graciously included a transcription of the images, which helped tremendously. This is just one way people may contribute. Thank you, Christine!

Last will and testament of Burwell Pope of Oglethorpe County, Georgia, dated 1 November 1799 (Georgia Will Book A, two pages):

Item -- I give and bequeath to my son Robert two negroes, JACOB and JUDAH...

Item -- I give and bequeath to my daughter Tabitha two negroes, [illegible] and DAVID...

Item -- I give and bequeath to my daughter Ann two negroes, [illegible] and PETER...

Item -- I give and bequeath to my daughter Martha two negroes, [part of will missing] and DICK...[part of will missing] other Negro named LUCY.

Item -- I give and bequeath to my [part of will missing] and SAMUEL...

Item -- I give and bequeath to my daughter,Sarah three negroes,  IDA, OPHRAIN, and RICHARD...

Item -- I give and bequeath to my son Burwell two negroes, EDWARD and JAMES...

No comments:

Post a Comment