Saturday, March 25, 2017

VIRGINIA, Culpeper County: Smith (1720-1802)

Rogan and Domenica left the following information as a comment on the Slave Name Roll Project page:

Known Records of the Richard Smith Family Enslaved Persons 
Records – 1739 will to 1848 will
Slaveholders – approx. 1700-1863. 

Sources: 
“The Descendants of Richard Smith of Northumberland County, Virginia”, written and compiled by Darryl J. Diemer, (Louisville, KY, 1995) [Diemer]

Slaveholder: Issac Smith, 1720 -1802.
Culpepper County, Virginia
Born in Virginia, son of William Smith and Elizabeth Downing. 
Wife was Margaret Rucker, married in 1738. Had ten children. 
Moved to Culpepper County after the death of his father-in-law, John Rucker in 1752.
Deed: 7/8 January 1742, St. Thomas Parish, Orange County Deed Book 7, pages 76-77.
Issac Smith deed to John Rucker (his father-in-law)
Deed: 1 July 1752, St. Thomas Parish, Orange County Deed Book 12, pages 117-118.
Release of Deed by executors of John Rucker’s estate back to Issac Smith 
Will: Madison County, Virginia, Probate August 26, 1802

Enslaved Persons: 7 named persons


George, one Negro boy
1739 Will, William Smith [Diemer, pg. 6] 
“bequeathed to my Son Issac Smith to him and his heirs forever” [Diemer, pg. 6]

1742 Deed
Issac Smith deeded to John Rucker (his father-in-law) for 600 pounds to be paid December 25, 1743, all lands and tenements and plantations together with my Negros Seaser, George, Bess and Moll, horses, cattle…” [Diemer, pg. 10]



1752 Deed
Deed was released by the executors of John Rucker’s estate, Susanna Rucker and Peter Rucker, “for all lands, tenements and plantations, together with al negroes, horses, cattle hogs, potts, pewter goods which Issac Smith by deed 26.October 1742 mortgaged unto John Rucker for 600 pounds.”

Nan, a negro Woman and Moll, one Negro girl
1739 Wills of William Smith [Diemer, pg. 6] and Elizabeth Downing Smith, [Diemer, pg. 7]

“two Negros names Nan & Moll to my Loving Wife Eliza Smith, to her and her heirs for ever” [Diemer, pg. 6]

I Lend unto my Son Edwin Smith my negro Woman named Nan during his natural Life and her Increase the first Child she shall bring to be for my Son Benja. Smith and his heirs forever and the rest I Lend as before to my Son Edwin during his natural Life. [Diemer, pg. 7] 

It is my Will and desire that my Negro Woman Nan and her increase after my Son Edwins decease go to my Daughter Anne to her and heirs forever Except the first Child to my Son Benjamin. [Diemer, pg. 7]

I give and bequeath unto my Son Isaac Smith one Negro Girl named Moll to him and his heirs forever. [Diemer, pg. 7]


It is my will and desire that the first Child raised on the Negro Moll to be for my Grand Daughter Winifred Smith to her and her heirs forever. [Diemer, pg. 7]

1742 Deed
Issac Smith deeded to John Rucker (his father-in-law) for 600 pounds to be paid December 25, 1743, all lands and tenements and plantations together with my Negros Seaser, George, Bess and Moll, horses, cattle… [Diemer, pg. 10]

Wiggon
“and one Negro named Wiggon to during her Natural Life” [Diemer, pg. 6]

“I give and bequeath unto my Son Benjamin Smith one Gun & one Negro named Wiggon after my Wifes decease to him and his heirs forever” [Diemer, pg. 6]

Bess (could be two different Bess’s?)
1739 Will
“I give and bequeath unto my granddaughter Mary Ann Bryant one Negro girl named Bess to her and her heirs forever. Diemer, pg. 6]

1742 Deed
Issac Smith deeded to John Rucker (his father-in-law) for 600 pounds to be paid December 25, 1743, all lands and tenements and plantations together with my Negros Seaser, George, Bess and Moll, horses, cattle…” [Diemer, pg. 10]


Seaser
1742 Deed
Issac Smith deeded to John Rucker (his father-in-law) for 600 pounds to be paid December 25, 1743, all lands and tenements and plantations together with my Negros Seaser, George, Bess and Moll, horses, cattle…” [Diemer, pg. 10]
Senor


1802 Will of Issac Smith’s
“I give and bequeave to my grandson William Smith son of D. Smith one negro man by the name of Senor to him and his heirs for ever – [Diemer, pg. 13]

No comments:

Post a Comment