Tuesday, June 20, 2017

CONNECTICUT, Litchfield County: Wells (1806)

Barbara left this comment:

Connecticut: town of New Milford (in Litchfield County):

On 1 February 1806, Philip Wells emancipated his slave Rhoda. This event is recorded in New Milford Deeds 24:627 as follows:

Emancipation of Rhoda, a Negro woman
We the subscribers having examined into the age character and health of Rhoda a Negro woman now a slave to Philip Wells, she having signified to us her desire to be freed & set at liberty from her said Master; do by these give liberty, and approve of her manumission.

New Milford February 1st 1806 Josiah Starr Justice of Peace

I hereby Certify that I have and do by these presents manumit and set at liberty my Negro woman named Rhoda from all claim I have on her as a Slave; and do hereby fully & forever free & set her at liberty from all claims & demands that I or my heirs have or might have upon her as a Slave, as aforesaid; as witness my hand.

Josiah Starr}witnesses Philip Wells
Nath'el Taylor}
Recorded Feb'ry 20th 1806.
pr. Elisha Bostwick, Register.


This is quoted in "The Descendants of Governor Thomas Welles of Connecticut and his Wife Alice Tomes, Volume 2," (Wethersfield, Conn.: Welles Family Association, 2015), 449.

No comments:

Post a Comment